Re: TR6 Tie rod query

To: jaltman@altlaw.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Tie rod query
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 18:26:29 EST
In a message dated 98-12-20 16:29:20 EST, jaltman@altlaw.com writes:

> Thanks Dan.  I went out and measured more carefully, I have 1.5 inches of
>  thread and lock nut so that means I have 3/8ths inch inside the end. That
>  should be 7.4 threads. What'd ya think? Enough?

I'm afraid I'm not really qualified to comment on the adequacy of a 3/8 inch
engagement, but if it were mine, I'd be a little leery. On my TR6, I have
about 1 inch thread engagement on one side, and a little more on the other.

I looked at a new outer tie rod end, and noted that it is threaded for its
entire length, about 2 inches or so.  This leads me to think that the
manufacturer planned on a fairly lengthy thread engagement.

As a point of reference, a standard 1/2 - 20 nut (the same thread/bolt size as
the tie rod) is 7/16 inch thick, so  anything that is being held together - in
tension - with a 1/2 -20 bolt is relying on 7/16 inch of thread for strength.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/index.html
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74