Re: Concours/Concourse

To: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Concours/Concourse
From: Glenn Merrell <gmerrel@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:25:20 -0700
Cc: "'Triumphs Mail List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "'Vintage Triumph Register (VTR)'" <vtr@Autox.Team.Net>
Hello Jim,
        So, vous désirez fendre les chevelures, si à parler?  Have you ever
raced on a
concourse in a concours?  Is concours here being used as a noun, a verb, a
pronoun, or plain ol' 'merican sslang deviation of a truly French term...y'all.
Would that be a concourscross, a concourse autocross, or just crossedup,
confoundedit!  Sure confuses me, I confess.
        However, this must be a "concours" in your view, where if you had the
proper
French Dictionary for the word which it is derived from and properly spelled,
you would clearly see it is indeed a "contest" or competition, and  that there
are clearly other types of contests in the French if you had properly researched
it, monsieur.  So, using the word "concours" in the manner it was applied in the
definition of "concours judging" would be be correct, so to speak, if it is
generally understood by more than 20% of the population?

Au revoir mon petit.

Les jours fériés Heureux