Re: TR6: main/rod bearing & thrust washer replacement I

To: triumph@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate), triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6: main/rod bearing & thrust washer replacement I
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 14:54:43 +1100 (EDT)
At 1:50 AM -0000 23/12/98, Shane F. Ingate wrote:
>All,
>
>I have been off the list for a while, but due to the many
>requests from you to complete my article, I have finished
>the long-promised write-up on "TR6 thrust-washers,
>main and conrod bearings for dummies".  I will send
>it to the list in my next email, and I have placed a copy
>at my web site:
>
>       http://www.horizon.com/ingate/tr6bearings.html
>
>Any chance that this will go into the VTR maintenance pages Andy?

Excellent.  However, there is one question which I have never seen answered
anywhere.  How can you set up the end float between 6 and 8 thou when the
thrust washers come in 5 thou increments?

My experience was:

12 thou end float, thrust washers need replacing;

installed two new std thrust washers and reduced end float to 9 thou;

replaced one thrust washer with 5 thou oversize, end float reduced to 4 thou.

I left it at 4 thou on the basis that it could only get bigger over time.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U