TR7 head

To: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR7 head
From: "Byron N. Brashears" <brashears@hughes.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 08:00:09 -0800
I hope everyone has had an excellent holiday. I have at least a bad head
gasket. While replacing the plug and tuning the engine I found that #4
was developing only 60 Lbs of compression. It did not overheat so the
head is probably ok. I have another head and all the gasket on hand, so
I should be back on the road by monday (parties aside). I was checking
the torque of the head bolts at 2500mi. intervals. The last time, about
a week ago I noticed some coolant leakage during the process, was that
the first hint? The manual (Bentley) recommends loosen the bolts in
order and retighting, but says nothing about removing coolant first. It
has been an interesting 2 weeks. Last week as I was coming home from
work I broke the accelerator cable, near the Angeles Forest summit. I
removed it shortened it and respliced there beside the road, and managed
to get home. Saturday night while searching the clubs for a new
navigator, the speedometer cable broke. So now I must replace the head,
speedometer cable,  rear shocks, reroute the antennae cable, and replace
the temperture sensor. At least it will keep me out trouble for a while.

79 TR7 DHC
76 TR7 FHC