My favourite LBC

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "British Cars" <british-cars@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: My favourite LBC
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 10:18:01 -0000
I've been following this thread and am more inclined towards the
Astons than the E-types. I suppose it's because, in the words of the
Noble Bard "that the appetite may sicken and so die." In my youth, I
worked for Jaguar in Coventry before joining Triumph and drove more E
types than I'd had hot dinners, up to that time. A beautiful shape,
I'll not deny - but fiendishly uncomfortable (for me). I found the
pedals an agony on a long journey and let's face it, there were quite
a lot of them around and this made them a little too "common."
If one has to stay within the Jaguar fold, surely the most beautiful
and the MOST classic, has to be an SS100.
These days, as my hair has gone, and the dentist has seen fit to
remove rather more of my teeth than I'd have preferred, I err towards
a Buckingham Palace Drawing Room - on wheels. My years have now
approached a pivotal point where comfort and silence is something of
a pre-requisite. A former colleague recently visited me bringing with
him my present vehicular inclination. Alright, it's fitted with auto
trans, power everything and it smells strongly of leather and walnut
- but all this nothwithstanding, it has to be said that the ability
to accelerate 3 tons of car to 60mph in under 8 seconds is rather
dramatic to say the least.
Of what do I speak?
A Bentley Mulsanne Turbo.
I think I'd rather like one. It has a certain elitism - which greatly
appeals. It has to be said as well, that the financial wherewithal to
be able to run one and not even think about the cost, appeals even
more.

John Mac