Re: TR6 brake failure

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 brake failure
From: Peter C <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 09:12:09 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 10:33 PM 12/28/98 -0500, Andrew Mace wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Pete & Aprille Chadwell wrote:

>> Have others had similar experiences with new brake masters?  I don't recall
>> if the TR6 cylinder is by Lockheed or Lucas/Girling, but perhaps it wasn't
>> a good idea for Lucas to get into making BRAKING systems!!
>
>I dunno. Girling's been making some pretty decent braking systems for
>many, many years -- at one time good enough even for Formula One cars and
>such, and Girling's been part of the Lucas companies for maybe 40 years
>or more (anyone know exactly how long?).
>
>--Andy
-----------
Andy & list,
        I have a Girling sales brochure printed in '72 or '73, and I quote:
"Starting almost 40 years ago (1932ish?) with a new mechanical braking
system designed by Capt. A. H. G. Girling, the Company began to make real
progress when, in 1943, the new Hudson Cycle Company, as it was then, was
acquired by the Joseph Lucas Group and merged with Bendix and the
suspension manufacturers Luvax, to form Girling Limited."
        FWIW later on is the reporter's question to the then Director & GM: "
How
do you view the growing incidence of the D.I.Y. motorist?" Answer:"Deep in
our hearts we do not like the DIY activity on our products because we are
always conscious that there are people's lives at stake." He goes on to
describe some of the "programmes" and tools".. with which to cary out the
servicing operation easily and safely. In this way we fulfil our
obligations." (moral?)
        A bit of history... and caution.
        Cheers    Peter
Peter Caldwell
MGC-GT  , 100-4, '31 MM8 Cammy, Innocenti S,
'52 Champ, '60 L-R 109 SW, 3 '64-73 L-R 88's
nosimport@mailbag.com
Contact for: The Columbia County Bonspiel
        Curling on 13 sheets at 5 clubs in WI
          Feb. 5 - 7 1999