Fastener Threads

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fastener Threads
From: MPRICE@KeystoneSystems.com
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:41:59 -0500
I'm sure this thread has come and gone a few times prior to my joining
the list. If so, my humble appologies. None-the-less, I need to get some
questions asked. I'm working on a '68 TR250, so bolt heads and nuts all
seem to be pretty much SAE sizes. I haven't found any Whitworth (sp?)
fasteners. (are there any on this car?)

1) I understand that the threads on  these fasteners are a british fine
thread or something like that. Is this the same as National Fine Threads
we see here in the US?

2)I've seen many letter combinations thrown around, and other than Pipe
Threads (NPT?), and Standard (NST?), I  haven't a clue as to what they
all are. For the fasteners on my car, what am I looking for? BFT?

3)Is there a readily available source for these fasteners other than the
big 3? I can't imagine that my local Ace Hardware stocks these, and I
don't know all the sizes I'm going to need. ("Yup, gonna need 4 just
like this old rusty one here.")

4)Taps and Dies for these? Where is a good source for these?

I appreciate any information from the list.
TIA folks.
Mark
68 TR250's (In need of things to attach parts to the cars with)