Re: triumphs@autox.team.net digest #1491 Wed Feb 3 02:35:00 MST 1999

To: rdowty@iso.net
Subject: Re: triumphs@autox.team.net digest #1491 Wed Feb 3 02:35:00 MST 1999
From: Anthony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 12:28:57 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Ron,

A few years ago I was racing an autocross Hillman Imp that ingested a lot
of dust and sand due to DCO failure (dumb current owner ... me) - the
advice at that time from a BP Oils lub. technician I was working with was
to remove the sump (oil pan) and rocker cover and very liberally wash down
the engine internal oil-ways with kerosene - lots of it.  The thinking
being that if the engine had sand in the oil retun path to the sump, it
would get washed out (and if you didn't fire your engine up after sand
blasting, that would apply).  Then replace the sump pan, and fit a new oil
filter element, fill with light weight oil (SAE 10) and remove the plugs
and turn the engine over on the starter for as along as you think prudent
(sorta depends on your battery and starter).  Drain the flushing oil out,
and replace the oil filter element, and either repeat the process, or fill
with regular oil and drive the car for about 300-500 miles and do an
oil/filter change.

In my case although the bottom end was OK after that process, we'd shot the
rings through what was ingested through  the carb!  If you think any sand
went that route, I'd suggest an airline purge of each cyliner.  Turn the
engine over so the exhaust valve is open (but not the inlet!) and open up
the airline feed to a 14mm adapter.  Repeat for all cyls.

Good luck,

Tony Gordon

1972 TR6, Midland MI