Re: Leaking Pressure Differential Warning Actuator (PDWA) on '78 Spit

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Leaking Pressure Differential Warning Actuator (PDWA) on '78 Spit 1500
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 15:12:00 -0500
> > If not EP, then what type of rubber are the "regular"
> > o-rings?  McMaster-Carr lists o-rings in Buna-N, Viton,
> > Silicone, Neoprene, Ethylene Propylene (EPDM), Teflon,
> > and some other trade names.  What is most common in
> > the plumbing trade?
>
> Good question but actually I don't know. But I am pretty sure they would not
> be EPDM. Also, Mcmaster Carr is not exactly the local Home Depot. At least
> not where I live (Canada). I seem to recall that the EPDM o-rings would not
> be adequate for oil/gasoline use (I could be wrong on this). Those would
> probably be the "regular" type of o-ring. The name Viton sounds vaguely
> familiar but truthfully, I am not an authority on this :-(.
>
> I always get o-rings for hydraulic systems from a specialty seal supplier.
> That way I know that I am getting the right kind. Guess I haven't really
> answered your question...
>
> Peter

Peter,

I checked and some of the o-rings I have are marked with a red dot and some are
not.
The red doesn't seem to rub off too easily, so I guess the unmarked ones
probably
shouldn't be used.  Swelling is probably not as critical in the PDWA as the
shuttle
doesn't normally move, so the swollen o-ring probably just makes a tighter seal.
Thanks for the tip!

BTW according to McMaster - EPDM o-rings shouldn't be used with gasoline or
oil, and
the ones that can take gas shouldn't be used with brake fluid - but the ones
that will
take both have poor abrasion resistance!?!?!  We can send a man to the moon but
we
can't get a "universal" o-ring! Geeez!  ;-)

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars