Re: TR3A electronic ignition update

To: fansher@bitstorm.net
Subject: Re: TR3A electronic ignition update
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 23:39:46 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I'm going to have to disagree with Art and Chris on the comment about it
not fitting the DM2 distributor.  It does in fact fit that distributor.  I know
because I've done it.  The only problem for the DM2 distributor is the way
the rubber plug fits.  I had to modify the plug slightly to get it to fit the
opening in the DM2.  Other than that there is no difference in the mounting
plates.

> Much thanks to Art Kelly and Chris Lillja for their information on Ignitor
> and Crane electronic ignition units.  The Ignitor does mount totally under
> the distributor cap with only one extra wire coming out of the
> distributor.  But the Ignitor does not fit on the DM2P4 TR3 and early TR4
> distributor.  It does fit on the 25D4 later TR4 distributor.  They come
> both in positive and negative ground units, I'm making the switch to
> negative ground. I talked to Stewart at Custom Spares in New York,
> 914-923-2525 he found me a used 25D4 and sells the units - I should be up
> and running (better?) next week.  I just like the idea of having
> everything hidden under the cap.  This with the Apple rebuilt carbs and
> the TRF rebuilt steering should be really better.  I might just keep this
> car!  I have had her since 1972.  She may make a daily driver yet. Again
> thanks to Art and Chris and to all the list. Tom Fansher 61 TR3A TS76120L
> 62 CT7966LO

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 12/3/98)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L -- 1973 Spitfire 1500 FM3353U
1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1965 TR4 CT38888LO parts car?
1959 TR3A TS41311L       -- 1959 TR3A TS53523L parts car
1951 Dodge Truck B-3-B-108