Re: TR 6 starting problems

To: trumpet@bellsouth.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR 6 starting problems
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:19:58 EST
In a message dated 2/16/99 3:44:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
trumpet@bellsouth.net writes:

> The guy who helped me suggested that I put some
>  kind of heat shield between my starter and engine because the heat may
>  be affecting the solinoid.  What do you all think??  Does this sound
>  like a valid cause and cure??

John,

Heat won't be the cause of the problem, but it may exacerbate it. Your
partsman is telling you that because that is a common complaint with Chevy
engines in tight spaces, and they make a special "hot start" kit to fix it
(BTW, the hot start kit works, but not for the reason they think it does). For
a TR6, I don't know of anyone having this problem, but if your solenoid is
marginal, then heat may make the difference. If everything is OK, you won't be
having a heat problem.

I must have missed your original post, so I don't know what kind of problem
you're having, but a heat shield would be, at best, a temporary fix till you
could get to the real problem.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/