Re:Compression test/"leak-down" test

To: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Compression test/"leak-down" test
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:29:48 -0500
The wet test is different than a leak-down test.

>From the archives (Michael Ferguson I believe):

The Leak-Down Test

Using a special tester and a supply of compressed air, each cylinder is
pressurized. The rate at which the air leaks out of the cylinder, as
well as the sound of the air escaping, can more accurately pinpoint the
magnitude and source of the leakage. Any engine compression diagnosis
which will require major disassembly should first be confirmed by the
more accurate leak-down test. Because the test requires special
equipment and experience, it may be desirable to have it performed by a
dealer or other qualified repair shop."