RE: OD gear oil- info from Redline

To: "'Mark Gendron'" <mister_toad@email.msn.com>
Subject: RE: OD gear oil- info from Redline
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 14:56:58 -0800
Cc: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mark :

Ken said he chose racing oil, because of it's relatively low detergency,
which he felt was an advantage (I forget why).  I have no idea how
important it is.

I personally use Valvoline Racing oil in many things, as I have had bad
experiences with other brands in engines.  (Quaker State and Pennzoil cause
sludge buildup. I had an oil bypass valve stick while using Castrol & was
told others had the same experience.)  I use straight weight oil instead of
multi-weight, because I have found that the viscosity improver can break
down in TR engines, leaving 20w50 thinner than straight 20 weight !  I'm
not sure how much of this applies to O/D trannys, but I've found something
I like & I'm sticking with it.  The owner's manual also specifies straight
weight oil, but that could be because multi-viscosity was unknown in the
50's <g>

As a side note : I live in So. CA where temps rarely drop below 50F.  I
have used Valvoline 40W racing in all of my older engines for years, with
 no complaints.  On the Chevy, at about 140,000 miles, I started using
Castrol 20w50, as it is cheaper and easier to find (the discount stores
quit carrying 40W Racing).  It promptly started burning oil, and continued
even after changing back to 40W Racing.  I now use Valvoline full synthetic
in it, which stops the oil burning.

Randall