RE: re: converting radio to positive ground

To: "'Zempel, David W'" <david.w.zempel@lmco.com>, "'triumphs list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: re: converting radio to positive ground
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:17:39 -0800
Dave :

I don't know where the article is, but the process is really easy (assuming
your TR doesn't have any electronics, like a radio <g>).  Basically you :
1) Disconnect the battery.
2) Switch the two wires at the coil (there is some debate about whether
this is required.)
3) Switch the two wires on the back of the ammeter (otherwise it will read
backwards).
4) Reconnect the battery, with the connections switched.
5) With the engine running, open the regulator cover and manually close the
cutout contacts. (If your cover doesn't come off easily, momentarily
connect a wire from the D terminal to the hot side of the battery.)
6) Replace the regulator cover.
You're done !
Nothing else on a early TR cares about polarity.  The business with the
regulator is to "polarize" the generator, which creates the residual
magnetism it needs to start up the right direction.  The heater and wiper
motors use wound fields, so will still run the right direction.

Randall

On Wednesday, March 03, 1999 8:38 AM, Zempel, David W
[SMTP:david.w.zempel@lmco.com] wrote:

> Wow, thanks for the input.  I'll have to check the radio for a +/- ground
> switch tonight.  Yes it's an original Triumph AM only radio.  I don't
know
> what year it was manufactured.  Maybe the date is stamped on it somewhere
or
> there is a serial number on it that can be used.  Does anybody know how
> determine any of this.  It's a good thing Randall brought out the point
> about the antenna, I hadn't thought of that yet.  Might have missed it. I
> guess I should consider converting to negative ground, I hadn't even
thought
> of that.  I thought I had seen an article on the conversion process on
SOL.