Re: OD Operating Lever Adjustment

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OD Operating Lever Adjustment
From: Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 23:31:57 +0000
I found that the best way is to adjust the O/D is as per the book, but not
using the lever.  I think the connection to the lever can wear over the
years.   The book method that is best is to measure the amount of lift on the
ball bearing that controls the flow of oil. I haven't got my manual handy so I
can't say what it should be.  You just have to take off a plug on the top of
the O/D and use some form of accurate measurmemt to get the correct lift.   I
found this out the hard way after trying unsucessfully to get my O/D to work
and blowing a brand new solenoid.   I originally got the correct setting by
moving the lever a small amount then driving the car to test it until it worked
( I must have driven 25 miles !) , but when I read about the ball bearing lift
method  I checked it and found that  I had achieved the correct setting through
my adjustments.

I also wired my O/D differently to make it slicker when accelerating up the
gears  see
http://members.tripod.com/~BrianJohnson_UK/page130.html      for how I did it !

--
Cheers
Brian Johnson

Internet bjohnson@myself.com (work) or b.johnson@lycosmail.com(home)

1963  TR4   AFP503A / IZS 733(USA) - CT27216-L (now not L but O ) ex USA
1954  TR2   46 BHX               TS554-O   UK Car in pieces
1989  Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 GLI   - Eurobox  but it goes !