OD-4.1 Diff?

To: submit <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: OD-4.1 Diff?
From: Kramer <ebk@buffnet.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 07:39:07 -0500
>I also believe that you could order from the factory the 4.1 gears on a
non-OD TR3A, but that it had to be a direct dealer order. Even though
the Service Manual indicates that the 'high speed' kit included the 4.1
gears, overdrive, and a suitable speedo, the gears and speedo could be
ordered without overdrive - although it was definitely contrary to the
advice given in the Service Manual. This I was told back in the early
'70s when I was getting parts at the dealership for my TR3,....
        I believe this statement to be true because: Back in '73 I recall
meeting a person who was selling a TR3B & He told me that it had a 4.1
Diff. in it. Now weather he instaaled it him self or was telling me a
story to enhance the value, I don't really know. I remember this because
I was "new" to cars & wished that I could install a 4.1 diff. in my 1st
TR4/A live axle. I later swapped a good TR4 Tranny for a bad TR3 with OD
trany [the OD worked, but the 1st & rev. were messed up]. -Cosmo