Re: Oil Pump Q

To: John Gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: Oil Pump Q
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 19:12:07 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
John Gillis wrote:

> Yesterday I stripped down the oil pump from my TR2 project engine. I
> checked the clearance between the top and the rotors and between the rotors
> and the body, all were well within limits. Is it normal practice to change
> the oil pump as a matter of course, or can I reuse the original and be sure
> it will be up to the job.
>
> John Gillis
> 1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
> 1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
> Trinity College
> Dublin,
> IRELAND.

Hi John,

Was the car running before you started your restoration? If so, do you
recall the oil pressure? If it was reasonably good at hot idle, I would
consider reusing the oil pump, but check the pump drive shaft and it's
bearing for wear, too. I think TR Enterprises sells upgrade shafts, if
yours has wear and tear.

Even if you bought the car in non-running condition and don't know how
the oil pressure was prior to your current work, I would be tempted to
reuse the pump if it is within tolerances and doesn't show any scoring
or obvious damage. Mainly because it's not too big a deal if you need to
pull it later.

Replacement pumps are a bit hard to get on this side of the pond. Mine
is on back order from one of the big vendors! (no complaint, though,
they shipped all but 3 items out of an order of 120 items, only one
turned out to be "cheesy", too!)

There are also "repair kits" which basically replace the internals of
the pump, relatively inexpensive, when compared to a complete pump, but
I don't about availability and I would worry about using the remainder
of the pump.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L