Re: TR3-TR4 crank starting

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3-TR4 crank starting
From: kinderlehrer@mindspring.com (Kinderlehrer's)
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:01:56 -0500 (EST)
>Vic wrote:
>>
>> It's always fun to watch the crank starting contest at the TRA National
>> Meet.  The guys with the easy starting cars could have their engine
>> running with a 1/2 turn of the crank.
>
>Yes, always good fun, even if you have a little kid hide in the
>passenger footwell, to reach up to hit the Start button.  Especially
>appropriate when wearing the leather helmet and goggles, and yelling
>"Contact!"
>
>My tractor starts pretty well with a hand crank (1/2 turn), even when
>cold but not my TRs.
>
>Keith Edwards (former Crank Start winner, as well as Idle Threat
>competition)
>Suffolk, VA
>4.5 TRs

I also made good use of the crank when I was going through starter
compatibility issues.  It always started on a 1/2 turn, just never the
first 1/2 turn.  If you plan on making a practice of using the crank, get
your heart checked out and make sure that you have a good back.  One other
caution - by the time I got my stater working, I had worn out the bolt in
the damper that receives the crank to the point that it won't grab anymore.
About $40 at Moss for a replacement.

Bob