Re: Foglight Installation Question?!

To: Brian Furgalus <triumph.tr7@usa.net>
Subject: Re: Foglight Installation Question?!
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:34:05 +0100
Cc: 1-TR8-list <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, 1-Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi again Brian,

Brian Furgalus wrote:
> Yes, I remember!
> How is it coming along? I hope it works out for you.

Slowly creeping forward... Drivers door and extra bootlid is
still away getting painted, and I myself am working on the
various re-wiring projects being done:
"Flash to pass", "Front fog lights = Automatic driving lights",
"Heated seats", "Seat belt warning light European way", "Four
speakers" [might end up with six actually...], "Motor antenna",
"Four rear lights", "Four brake lights", "Hidden fuel pump cut
out switch",  etc etc...

> Yes, I am inclined to at least fit original brackets, and
> original lights if I can find a set at reasonable cost (you
> can't buy Cibie here, I don't believe).

If it turns out impossible I could buy them for You over here and
ship them out to You - probably an expensive way but it would be a
pleasure to help out.

> I will fit a rear light, and only *one*; you make a good point!
> Original brackets and a second-hand light, if I can find one.

There is a big difference between the original type rear fog lights
and brackets as compared to the aftermarket types. If You buy the
original bracket - don't forget to order the two fasteners for the
rear bumper  - I did! :-(
Had to get them from another source locally later...

> Are the Cibie foglights that Rimmer Brothers list in their
> catalog original to the car?

If it's the Cibie Type 35 then it is definitely period and I'm
quite convinced it was a type of foglight fitted to TR7s by many
dealers in mainland Europe, and probably on the British Isles also.
The light itself is compact [by the then standards] and made
out of metal and glass, not some damned plastic... And they fit
very nicely on the original TR7/8 fog lamp brackets. In the US
I think the most common dealer fitted ones were a [now obsolete]
Lucas unit and/or a Bosch unit. Some also reported CEV/Marshal
units when I asked around the list some time ago before deciding
on what was available - and period/correct.

> They say you can buy original type, or replacement type, and
> show a picture of Cibies, but I don't know if those are the
> "Original Type" or "Replacement" type.  I guess I better ask
> them!

Specify Cibie Model 35 when You talk to them, that'll do it.

> How do the "original-type" brackets mount up to the car? Are
> there any holes provided, or do I have to make my own? Remember,
> the car has US-type bumpers (it's a US-spec car), so if the euro
> cars have mountings for the lights, they are most likely not
> there on the US bumpers.

They're there alright... The brackets mount on the car itself;
on the side of the front chassis legs, just behind the front
bumper mounts. There are a pair of holes in the underside edge
and one hole into the chassis member used for this. The last one
You have to take off the bumper to be able to fit the nut on the
bolt. Then it's just to hook up the feeder cable [it's there al-
ready] to the lamp and You're done. BTW Do take care when lifting
off the bumper. It's HEAVY! About 65-70 lbs.

The rear fog light bracket is fastened to the rear bumper, not
the car itself. Then the wires [remember to fit a separate earth
lead!] are fed up into the boot via an existing hole and grommet
and connected to the [already there!] fog light connection and
wire, and one of the rear light fastening bolt/nut for a good
earth.

> Good luck with your conversion!
> Brian

Thanks. You too.
/Odd

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,