TR6 Thermostatic Vacuum Switch

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Thermostatic Vacuum Switch
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:37:24 +1100
This device still puzzles me.  I have removed the switch and installed a
single piece top radiator hose (TR6 74.5).

The thin black tube between the bottom of the carb and the distributor is
fairly simple, I just rejoined the two halves without the TVS.

What I do not understand is the purpose of the thicker green tube from the
TVS to the top of the carbs.  It was used only on CF12500 to CF35000, so it
had a fleeting life.  What does it do?  Should I leave it open or block it
up?

What goes on inside the TVS?  The cryptic markings give little away.  I
know it disconnected the distributor vacuum line when the car overheated.
What did it do to the other (green) line, vent it to the atmosphere to
weaken the mixture?  The fact that the green line is much thicker than the
black line suggests that it was intended to carry a flow of air and not
just a vacuum signal.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U