Re: Overdrives re-visited.

To: Dave Brink <dbrink@niu.edu>
Subject: Re: Overdrives re-visited.
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 06:15:12 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>1. Is it practical to modify the stock transmission to bolt up to the OD
>unit?  Mine could use a couple synchros anyway.
It's not *quite* that simple although it can be done.  the biggest problem
would be finding an overdrive type main shaft for the transmission your
converting, which is needed to install the overdrive unit.  Also you would
need the adaptor that replaces the transmission rear extension (tailshaft)
housing and allows you to mate the overdrive unit to the tranny.  Other
than that it isn't too difficult.  You would also need the shift lever
assy, tranny to frame mounting plate, shortened or shorter overdrive
driveshaft, relay, switches and associated wiring for the overdrive unit
(all of which would be needed if you were installing an overdrive tranny
anyway).  I might also mention that if the car wasn't originally equipped
with an overdrive then the floor "tunnel" over the driveshaft in the front,
will (may) have to be cut about 6 inches back, and a cover obtained or
fabricated, to allow fitment of the overdrive unit.  All these items must
be from the same series of tranny/overdirve years (units) that you are
dealing with (3rail, single rail etc.).   Pretty simple - Huh! :-)

Have fun (BTDT)!

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)