Dolomite Overdrive & Speedo Gears

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dolomite Overdrive & Speedo Gears
From: Bill Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:58:18 +0000
Hi,
        I guess this one won't be of much interest to listers outside Europe,
unless I've hopelessly underestimated the number of Triumph Dolomites
(the 1970s variety) exported!
        I am planning to convert my wife's 1500cc Dolomite to Overdrive, using
components from an Overdrive equipped 1850 built into a spare 1500
gearbox. The box itself should be straightforward to convert, as the
only difference I can identify between O/D and non-O/D boxes is the
mainshaft. Fortunately, this is common to the 1850, so it should be a
direct swap once I have both boxes stripped.
        There are, however some differences in the Overdrive unit itself.
According to the parts list, the speedo drive gears are different
between 1500 and 1850. I assume the ratios are different, but does
anyone know what ratios they are? It would be nice to be able to
obtain/convert a speedometer in advance of starting the conversion - I
would rather not be responsible for my wWife's speeding fines!
        Thanks in advance for any assistance,
                Bill.

--
                            This Message sent by:
=====U==============U=====  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
\________________________/  1966 Herald 1200 Convertible
 | |                  | |   1973 Spitfire MkIV
 |_|                  |_|   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup