Re: Nova Scotia

To: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Subject: Re: Nova Scotia
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:22:40 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, GHaynes@aol.com
On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Henry Frye wrote:

> At 12:19 AM 3/23/99 -0500, Robert M. Lang wrote:

> FWIW, my wife and I did this trip a few years back. Unfortunately, we took
> the aging Ramcharger, not the TR3! The Portland/Yarmouth ferry can't be
> called luxurious, lots of diehard gamblers take the one day round trip
> ferry ride to gamble only. The crossing took 11 hours.

Yes, the return trip was "pretty interesting", we wound up getting a "day
cabin" to hang around in, but were lucky in that the seas were generally
smooth and the weather was pretty nice. If you are really really lucky,
you might even see a whale or two from the upper deck. I did, but my
"buddies" didn't believe me - no witnesses!

> Bob's right, the scenery in Nova Scotia is awesome. Cape Breton is
> spectacular. Remember, you will want to go around Cape Breton clockwise so
> the sun is not always in your face.

As luck would have it, we wound up going around the "Cape" in an
anti-clockwise manner. However it was very overcast when we left the
Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck, and stayed so 'till about 2:00
PM, at which point we actually reached the "West side" of the cape...
Made for some awesome pictures of the road winding along the coast.

> Gas was/is real expensive, so taking the old truck that gets 12 MPG was NOT
> a good idea! Also, the roads were pretty rough so it is impossible to make
> good time, especially in an LBC. But we are here to see the sights, remember!

I was there in '92, and the roads that we stuck too were pretty good,
actually. As another person pointed out, the BATANS group showed us
around, so to speak, and we saw many more roads that your typical tourist
would see... Got some great pictures. The BATANS folks were very friendly
and we were glad to meet them.

> The trip was great, we highly recommend it to anyone. Plan for one week in
> Nova Scotia to see most everything.

You could actually spend more time, if you possible... We went to places
like Shelburne (I think), a recreated village from the 1800's; La
Habitation, a recreated fort from the 1600's near Annapolis Royal; and so
forth.  There were many things that we missed because we were on such a
tight schedule to see everything... food for though.

Def. call the Nova Scotia tourism folks and get a brochure before you
go... it does help to plan a little.

rml
2 Dead TR6's and no end in sight!
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |