Re: BRG, Conifer, TRG

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BRG, Conifer, TRG
From: donp@ncweb.com (don pikovnik)
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 06:58:24 -0500 (EST)
Hi guys,

I think I missed the first message in the BRG mix thread but from what I
gather, there is some confusion over whether BRG, TRG are the same color?

Here's the information I have:

BRG  (ICI 2855)  used on TR2/3, early 4
BRG  (ICI 6XA1)  this is a darker variation of 2855.  ICI adds variations or
"specials" when they identify a significant number of vehicles in the field
that do not match the original standard.  This is usually due to poor
quality control at the factory when the vehicle was built.

BRG  (ICI CC43, MFG code 75, 254, or HAA)  used on 1975 model TR6
BRG  (ICI 7JE5)  darker variation of CC43
BRG  (ICI 8VD8)  lighter variation of CC43

Triumph Racing Green  (aka "Conifer")  (ICI 3736, MFG code 25)  used on TR4-6

I have sprayouts of 2855, CC43, and 3736.  Early BRG is bluer and slightly
darker than BRG (1975).  Conversely, BRG (1975) is yellower, slightly
lighter and cleaner (less gray value).  TRG is about the same depth as early
BRG but somewhat bluer and chalkier.  I haven't yet sprayed the variations
so I can't say what they look like.  I can say that without a side by side
comparison, it would be very easy to mistake one color for another.  This is
due to the fact that we can't really "remember" color with any accuracy.

All these colors are available from ICI in a single layer urethane called
"2K".  You can find a local ICI supplier by calling 1-800-647-6050, speak
with Jim Skal. The variation terminology (lighter, darker) is ICI's not mine.

Don Pikovnik
Coloramic Process, Inc.