I' shocked... SHOCKED I tell you...

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: I' shocked... SHOCKED I tell you...
From: "maineac" <maineac@netquarters.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 15:10:14 -0500
Just a quick question -- how can you tell if the rear shocks on a TR6 are
going (or gone)?  I took mine off today and they feel really firm when I
move the lever up and down.  I don't know what the PO did (or didn't do),
but I've been tooling around with it for abut 5 years now, and the shock
links are kaput, and I suspect that there hasn't been much done to the
shocks either, but I an quite surprised to find them so "stiff".  Is there
some test that shows worn or weak shocks that a backyard mechanic can do?
I don't want to enrich Apple Hyd.  if I don't have to.

I have a hard time sorting out whether I bought this car from a PO or a
DPO.  I think the front shocks are Konis (the paint on them is the right
color of red/orange), so I start to think htat maybe the guy wasn't a total
numbie, but then I go to remove the top nut on the shock and I find that he
used one of those stamped sheet metal nuts that are for holding lamp
sockets together for a jam-nut!  So what's with that?  Oh  yeah, if anyone
has a secret method of removing the top nut on the shock (the entire "rod"
keeps turning, and the nut is really tight), please share it.  Did you know
that rust is the poor man's locktite?

Tom Walling