It's Alive!!!!

Subject: It's Alive!!!!
From: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:23:20 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello Listers,

I reached a major milestone on my restoration today --- I got the TR3B
engine started! It's just on a rolling chassis, but it started up rather
nicely. I don't have the radiator attached, and didn't bother running water
through it, so I only ran it for three very short little stints (under 1
minute each time). It ran smoothly, no smoke, sounded great (albeit rather
loud since the exhaust is not yet connected :).

Two problems were encountered. First --- I'm getting no oil flowing down the
tube that goes to the oil pressure gauge. I suspect I've done something
wrong with the hookup at the filter mount. Secondly, have a leak from the
underside of the front carb. from a part that I was already questioning
whether I needed to replace (the answer is affirmative). But there are no
complaints from me --- frankly I was shocked at how quickly and smoothly it
ran. Now all I need is the body, interior, wiring, cooling, hydraulics ....
maybe by summer.

I'd like to give a great big THANKS to all on the list who have helped and
inspired me to do all this. I hope I've thanked you individually along the
way, but just wanted to mention it again --- I literally would never have
undertaken this without the list!

Dave Moag
77 Spitfire
62 TR3B (a far happier car than yesterday)