Re: TR6 Fuel Sender?

To: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au>
Subject: Re: TR6 Fuel Sender?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:57:33 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Cameron Greig <cameron@enterprise.net>, Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Trevor Jordan wrote:

> >My TR6 fuel gauge reads 1/2 to 3/4 when full and somewhere around the
> >floor when empty.The other day when the gauge read zero I filled it
> >up,only took 1/2 a tank.Before I take  the sender out to clean,any other
> >ideas.
>
> A 100 Ohm resistor across the tank sender leads should produce a reading of
> one third of a tank.  This should tell you whether the guage or the sender
> is at fault.  Split and sinking floats on the sender are fairly common and
> it is difficult/impossible to find replacement floats, so you have to buy a
> new sender (at great expense).

Is there any sort of product out there that could withstand being
partially immersed in gasoline, yet would be possible to form into a
float?

I'm well aware that I could solder up a tin can and use it, but that's
cheating.

How long would a cork last?  You could probably get a great big wine cork,
drill it to fit around the (leaking) float, stake in in place, et voila.

With my car, I get unreliable readings-- the gauge reads 3/4 tank when I'm
right full, 1/4 tank when 3/4 full, (just under) 1/2 tank when 1/2 full,
and correctly from 1/4 tank to empty (I found this out once- when it reads
"E", there's no gas left.  At all.)

Hence I doubt I have a sinking float, but rather bad traces/coils inside
the sending unit :-(

It may be possible to fix but I'm not holding my breath.  For now I just
fill it *full* and make sure it never reads "E" (again).

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm