Re: stuck "on" od

To: naffy@netins.net
Subject: Re: stuck "on" od
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 05:35:13 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 5/1/99 10:30:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, naffy@netins.net
writes:

<< Just an observation.....why make the od switch on and off through
 electricity?  Why not a manual thing.  Could easily be a cable to pull it
 on.  Then a mechanical dohicky could also throw the switch off when reverse
 and gears 1 and 2 are hit.  Just an ovservation.

I have seen the exact arrangement you describe on a TR2. I think Bill
Piggott's book refers to a factory OD manual switch in some export models
(not US). The one I saw was a second gear shift lever that got knocked
automatically into the off position by the action of putting into reverse.
Hope you're OD is okay, but from what I've heard you can probably expect some
trouble. As I recall there's a one way roller clutch in the rear of the unit
that really hates reverse with the unit on.
Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4