Re: Speedo parts.

To: ARhodes@compuserve.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speedo parts.
From: "Frank Crowe" <thecrowes@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 21:35:11 PDT
(snip)>>
>From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>

>I am not sure, but it seems like the calibration on the dial of the KPH
>speedos can be translated to the MPH requirement by multiplying by 1.609,
>then rounding to the nearest 20.  I have not paid much attention to the
>KPH calibrations, but I think 800 is a common one.  This translates to
>1289 on an MPH unit which rounds to 1280.
>
>What is the calibration on yours?  I will update the manual to cover
>KPH to MPH conversions!
>
>-Tony<<

Tony:  The calibration number is 740, which I think works out correctly.
Also, above the odo it says "S/N6307/05" - does that help?  Maybe somebody
just had this speedo a long time ago and put it in.  The PO had owned the
car since '73, and he says the PPO didn't know anything about the speedo
either (and the trip odo worked, but the main never did.)

I would have been able to go into the tach and speedo and probably get them
working without your article, but your description gave me the confidence to
tackle the whole job and take the whole thing apart to clean and relube.
Thanks

I'll start looking for old speedos - at least they open easy to check out
the number of teeth, and you're right, I guess I could easily convert it to
MPH if I wanted.  Though it is kind of neat to have to keep figuring out
what speed you are REALLY going!