Diff Nose Seal

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Diff Nose Seal
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 21:44:02 +0100
Cc: 2000 Register <2000-register@autox.team.net>
Hello, Listers,

Dirty fingerails time again. Tamara-who passed her MOT Friday and is
looking smug-needs a new diff nose seal. The axle oil is nearly coming
out faster than I can put it in and she's definitely marking her
territory.

As far as I can tell from my manuals-all of which are derived from the
factory manual I have-the job is to...

1. Remove the last bit of the exhaust.
2. Undo the driveshafts.
3. Undo the diff rear mounts.
4. Swing the diff rear end down, allowed by the mounts on the ends of
the 'delta' subframe.
5. Undo the four bolts behind the quill shaft housing and unplug the
diff.
6. Remove the nut and splined drive member.
7. Change seal.
8. Reassemble.

I've been told to soak the new leather seal in oil for 24 hours but not
which oil. I also don't have a torque figure for the drive member nut.

Any experience/caveats/opinions out there?

Thanks,

Dave Hill.