Re: Fuel tank float repair

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel tank float repair
From: "Kirby T. Kenyon" <ktkenyon@borg.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 11:05:14 -0400
Barry,

I checked into this for my '80 Spit with the same problem.  (See below) I
didn't buy this replacement but kept this for future reference.

I found that the plastic float had a small dent caused by the end of the
wire poking into the plastic.  I squeezed the float with a pair of pliers
and the gas drizzled out.  When it was empty, I sealed it with the stuff
you can get for sealing gas tank leaks (gray stuff, can't remember the name
but you can get it at most auto parts stores).  It's been about 8 months
(mostly in storage with a full tank) and no problems yet.

>Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 17:15:46 +0004
>From: Ray Psulkowski <rdent@rdent.com>
>Subject: Re: Fuel Gauge Float
>To: "Kirby T. Kenyon" <kenyonkt@maple.lemoyne.edu>
>
>Dear Kirby,
>
>Yes, we can supply the fuel sender plastic float - P/N 074L6001,
>$7.50 plus $4.00 shipping (minimum charge).
>We accept Visa and MasterCharge.
>
>Regards,
>Ray Psulkowski
>
>r.d. enterprises, ltd.
>290 Raub Road, Quakertown, PA 18951  USA
>Phone 215-538-9323         Fax 215-538-0158
>web site http://www.rdent.com

---snip original message---

.Anyway, Is there any way to remove the fuel from the old float?  I
was thinking of boiling the float, hopefully causing the old fuel to
vaporize and thereby also showing me where the leak is and allowing me to
repair it.  The only other way I could see to evacuate the old fuel out
would be to drill a small hole, drain, epoxy it closed, then find out where
the original leak is and then seal that up also.  I would presume that the
leak would be at the weld seam but am not sure where as it looks to be fine
- unfortunately, you can't buy just the float.  I may just make a brass one
and be done with it!  It wouldn't be that hard -

---snip original message---

Kirby T. Kenyon
ktkenyon@notnow.com