RE: TR4 - Fist Engine Start Up - Oil Guage

To: "'Brian Sanborn'" <sanborn@net1plus.com>, "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 - Fist Engine Start Up - Oil Guage
From: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 17:35:48 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Brian,

When first starting mine after the rebuild I first cranked it for awhile
w/out the plugs in. You can hear when the oil pressure comes up --- the
engine turns much quicker and the sound changes a lot. Only after a bit of
that did I put the plugs back in. It then started up fine. The oil pressure
gauge, however, read zero. Kind of scary. My problem was I was not getting
the oil to flow correctly down the pipe to the gauge. I had to try a couple
more times adjusting the washers where the banjo bolt connected to the
filter mounting. I left the gauge off and would run the engine for a second
or two to see if I got oil to come out. I had to press my thumb over the
opening and remove it a couple of times to sort of get a little suction
going and then the oil came through the gauge pipe (yeah --- a small mess,
but if you shut the engine off right away it's not a big deal). Then
reconnected the gauge and restarted the engine and it works just fine.

Hope that all made sense!

Dave Moag
77 Spitfire
62 TR3B