Re: Subject: spring compressor dimensions?

To: Pete Ryner <pryner@ij.net>
Subject: Re: Subject: spring compressor dimensions?
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 07:49:56 -0700
Cc: "'Michael Noerregaard'" <m_noerregaard@hotmail.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "skip@mojam.com" <skip@mojam.com>
I built my own spring compressor out of 3/4 " threaded steel rod, 18
inches is just barely long enough for stock weight springs (but ok for
shorter "heavy duty" performance springs). Next time I'd make it 20 or
21 inches long. I used a nyloc nut on one end, and made a plate for use
on the bottom out of 1/4 steel plate, cut to fit around the lower shock
mounting bolts. A couple large washers and a standard nut on the top
complete the assembly. Standard nut can also be put on the bottom, nyloc
on top. You will also need two extra long 3/8 or 5/16 bolts, a hand full
of washers and/or spacers to guide the spring pan down from and back up
onto the lower wishbones. Total cost less than $5, but I already had the
threaded rod and steel plate around left over from something else, so
add another $5 or $10.

Works great!

Removal: Remove the shock. Put compressor in place of shock and snug it
down. One at a time, remove the outer wishbone/spring pan bolts and
replace with longer ones with washers/spacers. Swapping back and forth
between the compressor and the bolts, loosen the spring pan gradually,
keeping it roughly level (thus, the two long bolts) until fully loose.
It's about two inches of total travel, I'd guess.

Reinstallation is the reverse of removal. (plagiarized the factory
manual on that one! ;-)

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

P.S. Do not use the external type spring compressors for this job!

--
MZ