TR6 misalignment?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 misalignment?
From: Canada <canada@voyageronline.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 99 23:12:25 -0700
After my euphoric report on solving the rusted sleeve problem, you might
have thought I had solved all my TR6 problems.  But not so.  Well, maybe
not a problem, but a worry.

Last fall, I completely rebuilt the suspension on my 76 (mild comp TRF
springs, nylatron bushings, HD levers on the rear, SPAX adjustables on
the front, grade 8 hardware.  Thanks to the Bentley manual, taking my
time and frequent advice from this list, everything went together
perfectly.  Except that the gap between the top of the tires and the
lower lip of the wheel wells is 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch greater on the
passenger side than on the driver's side.  The gap varies slightly
depending on whether it's on level ground or not, but it's noticable (at
least to me) and definitely measureable.

A very good alignment shop had no trouble aligning the front and rear and
told me they thought the problem might be in the left rear, causing the
entire right side to sit higher.  I have rechecked how the road springs
sit in their sockets and made sure there is only one rubber ring on each
end of the springs (I just replaced the rings to make sure).  I've triple
checked every suspension component on the front and rear and it's all
exactly like it's supposed to be.  The only thing I'm not 100% sure of is
the adjustment on the SPAX shocks. If they aren't adjusted properly,
could they cause the difference?

The car has 52k original miles on it.  It has not been abused, never been
wrecked nor even hit a curb.  How do I know?  1) the PO is a painfully
honest person and 2) the 3 mechanics I had look at the car before I
bought it (trust but verify) all said it was as straight a car as they
had seen.

Anyone ever run into this problem before?  I understand these cars were
hand-fitted; does this sound like normal tolerances for a Triumph?  Any
thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Ian CF57345U