74 TR6 ring gear bevel

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 74 TR6 ring gear bevel
From: JmyB@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 21:10:22 EDT
     A subject near and very dear to my wallet:  Does the bevel of the ring
gear face the starter on the late model TR6's ?
     Mechanic B who just replaced my wiped out ring gear that was installed
recently (within two summers ago)  by mechanic A says the ring gear was
chewed up because it was installed backwards.  Did the bevel originally face
the direction that the starter pinion engages the ring gear, which on these
cars of course is from the front of the car?  Mech A says no, that the bevel
should face the rear as per the starters that engaged from the rear, and that
in any case the bevel is on the wrong face of the teeth for starters that
engage from the front.
      Does any one KNOW? Does anyone have a source for substantiating
documents? Documentation may be what I need, otherwise its one guy's opinion
against another.
      Thanks for your input.

       Jim Bosley,   with a 74 TR6 that starts just fine, now.