Re: '74 TR6 coil connections

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '74 TR6 coil connections
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 14:53:11 -0500
Dan,

I am once again amazed (not surprised) at the detail in your responses
to questions like mine.  I got into it a little more deeply this
morning, before reading your answer, and found out something
interesting.  First, as you point out, I had the ballast resistor
wire mixed up with the seat belt wire.  But I THINK the brown wire
which connects to the coil along with the white/yellow one is actually
the resistor wire.  It is cloth wrapped and dirty but it does sort of
resemble a shoelace and it has a pinkish sheen to it when wiped
clean.  It is no fatter than most of the wires, and I was expecting a
fat one for the ballast resistor.  So if I'm right (now) the ballast
resistor wire and the white/yellow come together right at the coil.
That would be okay, right?  The really interesting thing is that
the PO put in a horn relay instead of a start relay.  In other words
there are two horn relays.  From looking at parts catalogs, it appears
that the start relay was indeed the same as the horn relay up through
1973.  It costs about $40 dollars less than the correct start
relay for my 1974!  Anyway it has no C4 connector for the white/yellow
wire.

Cheapskate that I am, I am wondering if it would be possible to make
do with the horn relay as my start relay.  My first thought was that
it might be okay if the white/red wire to the solenoid and the white/
yellow one to the coil are joined so that both carry voltage (connected
to brown) when the relay is energized.  Would it be bad for those two
to be joined all the time when not carrying voltage?

And one question about your instructions.  The white/red wire from
the ignition switch that should replace white/orange at the W1
connection; that is not the same as the white/red normally connected
to C1 is it?  Because if it IS, then I think I can use the horn relay
and still keep everything separated until the relay is activated.

Just this minute I received your schematic for the '74 TR6.  Thank you
a million times over!!

Tim Gaines
1980 Spitfire
1974 TR6