Re: TR6 clutch question

To: richard bacon <rbacon@netcom.ca>
Subject: Re: TR6 clutch question
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 22:53:04 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Sun, 16 May 1999, richard bacon wrote:

> Folks, I've replaced the clutch hydraulics on the TR: new slave and
> master cylinders, new plastic tubing and I still cant put it in reverse
> with the engine running...
> Any suggestions as to what is happening??

-the clevis fork is worn (ovalled) and you are losing motion; check both
of them (one at master and one at slave).  Quick check: crawl under car
(wheels chocked/car suspended!) and have lovely assistant depress clutch.
Measure slave travel, it should be 5/8" or so.  If you're not moving 5/8",
then your problem lies outside the clutch.  If the slave moves enough,
then your problem lies inside the clutch.

Can you get it into gear if you pump the clutch?  If so, then you either
have a leak somewhere in the system, or air somewhere in the system.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm