Re: GT6 Compression?

To: "Heglund, Davis (MN17)" <dheglund@SGP.Honeywell.com>
Subject: Re: GT6 Compression?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 07:24:34 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.netywell.com>
>Listers:   Checking the compression on my '69 GT6+ yesterday, ranged from
>135 to 175psi.  What should it be?  I have two manuals, but couldn't find it
>listed in either.  TIA
>  Dave H.  '69 GT6+ "The Mistress"
As long as it was done correctly, that is with the plugs removed, throttle
plate held wide open, cranked until the highest reading was attained on
each cylinder, then it should be within 15 lbs or about a maximum 10%
variation between cylinders.  One is not so concerned with the total value,
but the variation between cylinders. The total value is affected by so many
things it's not realistic to give a specific figure.  Looks like you have
either a blown head gasket, misadjusted or burned valve (s), or broken
rings somewhere.  Time to pull the head (if not just misadjusted valves),
and find out what the problem is-