Driver's side rear axle flange destroyed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Driver's side rear axle flange destroyed
From: HMENTZEN@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 18:48:01 EDT
What a way to start the day! Going to work this morning the car (79 Spit)
started to
clunk and wouldn't move just as I was pulling away from a stop sign. I pushed
the car to the side and tried to gently engage the clutch- same sound. I had
the car towed home and went to school. The teacher was not  in a good mood.
When I got home this afternoon I put the car up on jacks and found that the
axle flange & u-joint were destroyed. I have taken it all apart and am now
wondering how to remove the axle flange from the axle. Is there a pin driven
trough the axle? I did turn the other wheel and everything seemed to turn
smoothly. Before I try ordering a new flange I was hoping the wisdom of the
list could send a little guidance my way. What should I look out for?  This
time last year I had the rear hubs rebuilt and installed new u-joints all
around. I guess I'm lucky it happened  near home , last week  we  were
enjoying the coast of Maine 200 + miles away. Doubly lucky that I was just
starting off from a stop. TIA for any and all advice or info.
Hans Mentzen
79 Spit