TR6 Rear Suspension: postscript

To: 6 Pack Digest <6packlist@mfasco.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Rear Suspension: postscript
From: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 23:40:42 -0400
Folks,

This message is both a thank you to those who helped with my fumblings, and
a couple of thoughts that might save a few mistakes along the way for those
who want to avoid repeating all my errors.

Lesson 1:  rear hub movement - don't assume just because the hub seems to
move in and out a noticable amount that it IS the hub that's moving and
clicking.  New polybushes on that side of the car, and no movement of the
hub .... although I do now have a beautifully made replica of the Churchill
tool with a 1" fine Acme thread in place of the hydraulic unit that I was
really looking forward to trying out - anyone in mid-MI need to borrow one?

Lesson 2: new u/joints 1 - in spite of my confusion, the part IS Precision
Auto #344, but when installing check that you do not have a needle trapped
in the cap first time round.

Lesson 3: new u/joints 2 - when positioning the spider in the U/J remember
to align the threaded hole for the long grease nipple towards the
accessible side of the coupling (I now have one that is OK and another
fitted with a short fitting just to fill the hole that no one can get to).

Many thanks to those kind enough to offer encouragement and advice during
my self made trials.  And to think, I once made a living out of fixing cars
in a real garage.  Boy, I bet the folks of west London are sleeping better
now that I'm out of that business for good!

Cheers

Tony Gordon
72 TR6 (with a really tight front and rear end)