Re:TR6 carb rebuild

To: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:TR6 carb rebuild
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 09:19:12 -0400
Jack

There should be a small flat nylon-type washer at the top of the needle, below
the shoulder.  I don't recall seeing an O-ring however when I had my pistons
out.  The only O-ring I can remember in that vicinity is on the adjusting screw
above the needle (which is supposed to keep the dashpot oil from leaking
through), but that doesn't sound like your description.

Maybe someone did a makeshift replacement of the washers with O-rings.  I
haven't figured out what the function of that washer is anyhow.  I suspect it
may be a cushioning thing or a wear prevention thing, when the piston and needle
drop/sit on the jet.  The o-ring might do this just as well, but it would make
the piston and needle sit up a little bit higher than the washer would which
might make the idle mixture a bit lean since more air would be sucked in.
Remember the famous lift test on the pistons that the list debated? I think 1/16
inch was one opinion...how thick is the 0-ring?

Bud
71TR6 CC57365  (with 69 engine and 74 carbs)
71TR6 CC65446
66TR4A CTC57806