TR-4A - Engine block coolant drain tap problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-4A - Engine block coolant drain tap problem
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 08:31:30 -0700
    I ran into a problem after draining the engine coolant out of my '66
TR-4A.  The tap on the side of the engine block turned easily, but no fluid
came out, so I went after the opening with a paperclip and dislodged
whatever had blocked the flow.  However, now the tap won't close
effectively.  The handle is loose, and in the closed position fluid must be
dripping out when the car is running, as I am losing coolant every time I
drive.  Once or twice there was a puddle of coolant below the tap and the
starter case is also stained.
    This is very different than the tap on my TR-3A, which I can barely
move.  Has anyone else run into this problem?  Is the tap rebuildable?
(The part is out of stock at Moss and TRF.)  Were you able to get it off
the block? It looks like it would be difficult to get a wrench onto.  It
would be a major bummer if it were stuck or if I stripped the threads
trying to get it out.
    Thanks for the help.
John Cowan

Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus movie reviews, articles and Left/Progressive links at:
                           http://home.earthlink.net/~jfcowan