RE: TR3 Oil Pressure

To: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Oil Pressure
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 09:30:09 -0700
Michael :

In general, it's not a problem.
However, it's fairly easy to fix.  The first thing to do is to check the
calibration on your oil pressure gauge.  Mine certainly reads 15-20 psi
high, and it seems to be common with these old gauges.  My suggestion would
be to buy a cheap mechanical gauge (the kind that comes with a plastic
bracket to screw into the dash) at the local discount parts house, and
temporarily connect it in place of the dash gauge.  It should come with an
adapter that will fit the flexible line on the firewall.
Then, once you've verified that the pressure is indeed too high, there is
an adjustment sticking out of the side of the oil filter head.  Loosen the
lock nut, and back the adjuster out about 1 turn, then recheck the
pressure.

Randall