re: American Mags

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: American Mags
From: "O'Neil-Hess" <aephoto@mail.netacc.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 09:35:34 -0400
Tom,

For a more serious answer--
I think you will find that magnesium is darker than aluminum, but with
oxidation etc. of either one it may still be hard to tell. I bought 5 in
excellent condition for $800 and I think it was a great deal. There were 4
14 inch for an MGB at Carlisle for $750. They were in fair shape, though I
didn't look closely. I don't know anything about repairability but I guess
that if you have Ferraris and vintage racers anything is possible. I do
believe that magnesium cracks easily so you might be wary of "cometic dings
and blemishes" which may be the cause of a serious crack.

In addition to being dealer options they were the standard in SCCA in the 60's.

Allen Hess