RE: Battery peculiarities question

To: "Egil Kvaleberg" <egil@kvaleberg.no>, "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Battery peculiarities question
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 17:23:43 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
You wrote:

>The best practical way to store lead-acid batteries is to keep them
>constantly connected to a charger that maintains the correct trickle
>charging voltage - 13-something volts (somewhat depending on
>temperature).

I just won't leave ANYTHING plugged in (like a battery "tender") in my
garage with my family and I sleeping in the attached house. I've seen one
too many friends garages BURN (yep, electrical fire ignition) one taking the
house with it...

IMHO -- I just think the AGM technology of an Optima style battery offers a
lot for the British Car driver. Like no leaking acid to rot your battery
tray. No leaking hydrogen gas that goes boom. And better shelf life with a
slower self-discharge rate. More efficient charging with old 22 amp Lucas
generators... And they are a lot more durable than any immersion lead acid
type. These batteries were developed for military aircraft.

I did this dance with my Norton -- new battery every year, sometimes more
often, until I got my 3 phase alt and my dry cells. When the Die-Hard gives
out in the 4A I'm going to adapt an Optima to an old rubber case Lucas Tar
top...

Admittedly, it makes less sense with the state-of-the-art 3 phase 6 diode
charging system of a TR6 as opposed to a stone-age TR4 generator... but I'll
take whatever help I can get :>)

Chris Lillja
'66 TR4A
'74 Norton Commando 850