Re: TR6 Timing

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Timing
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:50:54 -0400
Cc: Scott Suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Scott Suhring writes:

>John:
>
>On my '70 TR6, if I set the timing at the recommended 12 degrees
>BTDC I get terrible "pinging" under heavey load. I get the best results
>if I retard the timing to 4 degrees BTDC. At this setting the engine
>pulls strong and little if any pinging (I use 93 octane).
>
>Has anyone else experienced this?
>
>Scott Suhring
>Elizabethtown, PA
>'70 TR6

Scott,

Did you disconnect the vacuum lines to the distributor first?  The
distributor has a vacuum retard (the 70 model has both a retard
and an advance module) that operates only at idle.  It will retard
the spark timing by about 12 - 16 degrees.  Its function is to
stabilize the idle and reduce emissions.  To set the timing to
12 degrees BTDC you need to remove the vacuum lines and
reset the idle speed.  Once everything is set reconnect the
vacuum lines and reset the idle speed and the timing should
read 4 degrees ATDC.

BTW, the 71 dizzy had both vacuum modules but only had the
retard connected.  I took the liberty of drilling a port on the top
of the rear carb and connected up the advance module.  So,
points off in concours, I guess.

Dave
57 TR3
71 TR6