Re: SQUAT

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: SQUAT
From: "Ross Vincenti" <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:34 -0800
Arthur wrote:
Last night I watched a program about the investigation into when  the QE
ll ran aground off Marthas Vineyard. [SNIP]  The final finding was, as a
ship moves through the water the force of the water moving under the
ship creates a hole around the ship in the water and the ship actual
sinks. While the water level along the water line stays the same the
depression at the water line is closer to the bottom. This phenomenon is
called "squat," so as a ship moves it squats down in the water.[SNIP]It
ended with the announcer saying that after 20 years experience the
captain of the QE ll didn't know "squat."
Whew!  Thanks Art!  Now when my wife yells at me for buying her the
wrong size dress and tells me that I don't know squat, I'll have a
snappy comeback! (chuckle).  Actually, that's really cool trivia.
Regards,

Ross Vincenti
Temporarily Triumphless