Re: MIG or ARC

To: Keith McGahan <keithmcgahan@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: MIG or ARC
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:51:46 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I have both a Millar Thunderbolt AC (225 or 250 amp output) arc welder, a
Century 130 (amp output) Mig and a torch set (for heating rusted bolts,
brazing and general heat and beat applications), but I use the TIG at work
whenever I can carry a small enough of a part into the shop without
arrousing too much suspision.  I am a self taught welder (I was taught how
to calculate a weld's theoretical strength but not how to use a welder in
engineering school), the following are my opinions.

Arc (buzz box)  advantage - inexpensive to buy, good duty cycle, deep
penetration,                       requires special accesories for stitch
welding or spot                          welding
          disadvantages - more difficult to weld thinner gages (auto sheet
                         metal), most are 220 v, need to keep the rods dry

Mig       advantages - allows for welding lighter gage sheetmetal (less
distortion),                  numerous migs available that use 110 v.
Mig       disadvantages - does not have the same penetration and is not as
good                          for heavier gage structural fabrication,
system cost                              about double that of an arc welder

Mig (flux core) works good out in the open (windy conditions)
Mig (with CO2 gas) much less splatter than gasless

I justified the arc welder when the diff mounts in my TR-6 broke for the
second time in a year (first time I had them "professionally" welded -
"pro" used a Mig).  For $30 over the cost of having a pro reweld the
brakets I owned the arc welder.  Arc welders are pretty simple and I view
it as a lifetime purchase.