RE: TR4(A) IRS/Non IRS/TR6 Etc....

To: <ArthurK101@aol.com>, "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4(A) IRS/Non IRS/TR6 Etc....
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:19:01 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Howdy,

I think all 4A's (well, at least my 4A) have/has the rear brackets in place
for the leaf spring/solid axle arrangement. The front bracket bolts on the
frame where the outer trailing arm mount goes. In theory, at least, an IRS
car could be converted to solid axle by simply removing the coil
spring/diff. mounting "bridge piece" from the frame and adding the proper
bits. (I gotta say, it's a painful thought...)

It never ceases to amaze me how much Triumph did with so little! What other
car ever offered a choice of suspension types on the same basic frame?!?

I just want to add for the TR6 guys out there that they shouldn't take TR4
(and 4A) owners pride in their cars as a slam on the 6. It's just that too
many folks (especially Americans) often labor under the illusion that bigger
(i.e. 6cyl vs 4cyl) is always better/faster. Tain't so.

I love all Triumphs and I would own a copy of every single type from 1923 to
1980 if I could! (I think Andy M. is about 1/2 way there!)

The cars we missed in America! A 2.5PI Saloon! I'd love to get a drive in a
16v Dolly Sprint! Vitesse MKII! A Herald Estate! Oh to have the $35k to buy
that Triumph Gloria Foursome Coupe on the VTR classifieds website!

Sorry, I'm foaming at the mouth now, raving wild eyed...I have to work now.
Good thread. :>)

Chris Lillja
'66 TR4A
'74 Norton Commando 850