Spark Plugs, Wires and Radios

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spark Plugs, Wires and Radios
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 08:25:51 -0500
Cc: sanborn@net1plus.com
>I am so glad to be asking these questions instead of the " where does my
>camshaft go" questions.
>
>I installed a new radio in the TR4.  One of those 70's retro ones from
>Kenwood.  The reception and sound is perfect with engine not running.
>Some noises start coming at idle but when the engine is revved to normal
>level the radio signal is overcome by ignition noise.

Brian, have you converted to an alternator?  I wonder if the noise could be
alternator noise, characterized by a high pitched whine, increasing as the rpm's
increase.  If so, go to Radio Shack and get the "better" noise filter (don't buy
the cheap one), consisting of an inductor and capacitor.  Follow the
instructions that come with it. That will knock out alternator noise but won't
much help spark-generated ignition noise.  That stuff is much harder to filter,
and usually requires filtering at the source (resistor plugs and wires).  A
capacitor on the low-tension side of the coil sometimes helps.  Try a 10 mfd
@25v electrolytic.